Saturday 7 May 2011

Harry Mills Memorial Cup: Marlow Mini Tournament: 27th March 2011

The 39th annual festival took place at Riverwoods with 150 teams and 6000 people enjoying a day of high quality Mini Rugby.

Harry was a key member of the Marlow RUFC U12s team before his death in April 2007 and the Harry Mills Memorial Cup is a special trophy that is awarded each year to the winning u12 side.

Wasps winger Tom Varndell presented the Harry Mills Memorial Cup to the 2011 u12s Festival joint-winners, High Wycombe RUFC and London Irish ARFC.

Marlow u12s AGO, Simon King gave a speech explaining the significance of the trophy and congratulating the winners.

Chris Roddick provides the following match report:-

"The Final

High Wycombe v London Irish

Although it was only late March the weather was hot and the ground hard. Both teams had come through their groups stages unbeaten and took to the pitch after already playing a number of tough games. London Irish were clearly a very well drilled and skilful team, Wycombe less so but with a bit more flare. Irish kicked off and were immediately forced on to the defensive, making tackle after tackle. High Wycombe after starting strongly were slower to the breakdown and Irish started to make their possession count and pinned Wycombe back. A loose kick gave Wycombe’s backs a bit of room and Dylan Stephens outpaced his opposite number and looked to have a clear run in until a tremendous covering tackle from the Irish Fullback knocked him into touch. Result: 0-0 at the end of the first half.

Again the second half started with High Wycombe pushing hard; however a break out from defence by Irish forwards forced Hugh Peal into a brave tackle which although successful, damaged his neck. Rightly no chances were taken and an ambulance took Hugh to Wexham Park Hospital (he was fine and out again after a quick scan). Due to the on-pitch medical treatment, the game was switched to a much smaller pitch on which the teams struggled to gain any great advantage. Irish could not make their greater forward fitness count and Wycombe were unable to get their flyers away. In the end a draw was a fair result with both sides happy to remain unbeaten.

All the boys were told about Harry at the presentation of the Cup and were very proud to have won the Cup that bears his name"

No comments: